About Us 

St Leonard's Church, Sysonby

Church-SysonbyChurch
 
Churchwardens Mr David Wilford and Mr Colin Moulds watch over our tiny church, tucked away at the bottom of Sysonby Grange Lane on the edge of Melton Mowbray, off the A6006 Asfordby Road. Services are only held occasionally and are special services conducted around three or four times a year.  Read the Churchwardens' Monthly Update to find out what has been happening in Sysonby.
 

HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE

 
The hamlet of Sysonby was mentioned in the Domesday Book under differing names, but it took its present name in 1552. Since that time the hamlet and its residents have had a chequered history. All that remains of the hamlet is the ancient little church building, which is believed to have been built around 1344. It is of simple construction, with a small nave and a tower with one bell. It was restored in 1892 and since then many local people have contributed towards the upkeep of the church and churchyard. In 1925, in memory of the Dalgliesh family (a well known and respected local family), a small side chapel was added. This now serves as a vestry and has greatly improved the interior of this lovely little church.

 

FIND  ST LEONARD'S CHURCH, SYSONBY LE13 0JG

 Map 
DSCN5734
Boost for church
The Annual Cream Teas Afternoon organised by St Leonard's Church, Sysonby, on the lawns at Sysonby Knoll Hotel on Sunday, (August21), raised nearly £400 for church funds. More ...
Phil Balding