St Bartholomew's Church, Welby
St Bartholomew's Church is situated about two miles north of the centre of Melton Mowbray, off the A606 Nottingham Road off St Bartholomew’s Way. See map below.
Mr Sam Willder and Mr Peter Franklin are both Churchwardens caring for the church.
Services are on the first and third Sunday of every month at 3pm. See our services listing
for the next service. You will be most welcome to attend.
Read the Monthly Report
of the Churchwardens to find out what has been happening in Welby.
For upcoming events see below.
HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE
The church probably dates from the time of the first Roger de Mowbray in the latter part of the 12th century. It consists of a nave, chancel and porch with a small tower, most of which is built of nearby sandstone.
The east window is large for the size of the building. The ancient glass of the windows, of which considerable remains still existed in the 18th century, was later removed to form part of the assembly of ancient glass in St Mary’s Church Melton Mowbray.
There is in this church an interesting piece of old carved woodwork in the form of a pulpit and reading desk and a screen surrounding, which is most probably by its appearance of Elizabethan or early Jacobean times.
The church has been awarded a first round pass from the Heritage Lottery Fund of up to £154,800, which represents 81% of total project costs of £190.840. This includes a development grant of up to £19,700, which is 92% of the total eligible development work cost of £21,300.
This is a first round pass and does not guarantee that it will receive a grant. If there is significant increase in the grant request at the second round it will have an impact on HLF’s judgement of the value for money the project offers. For more details of this click here.
No precise record of the finding of the Welby hoard, pictured, has survived, but there seems to be no reason to doubt that it was a genuine discovery. The hoard was deposited in the Leicester Museum in 1919 by Mrs. 0. C. Hocart, and the museum records state that the discovery was made about 1875 when a farmer was digging for gravel in Welby parish.
There is a field in this parish known as the Gravelholefield, and it seems likely that this was the find spot as gravel deposits do not seem to be known elsewhere in the parish. Unfortunately, only a proportion of the hoard survived, as the farmer took it to be melted down at a local foundry. Luckily, local resident Mr W. S. Barnes witnessed this and purchased and rescued the remaining finds.
To find out more click here
and for a Medieval map of Welby click here.
FIND ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH, WELBY LE14 3JL
|More Tea Vicar? |
|More Tea Vicar is the theme of an Open Day being held in St Bartholomew's Church, Welby, this summer.
Visit us on Saturday, 9th and Sunday, 10th June, between 10am and 4pm and enjoy the floral decorations inspired by this title.
|Church Open Day |
|St Bartholomew's Church, Welby, held an Open Day on Saturday, December 9th, when the building was decorated for Christmas.